...this blog kills fascists...

Friday, June 18, 2004

Fahrenheit 9/11 in Mississippi

As I'm sure everyone knows by now, there are at least two concerted efforts under way to try and intimidate theater owners into refusing to show Michael Moore's new film, Fahrenheit 9/11. That was only to be expected of course. Anything that encourages debate must be demonized, blocked, dismissed, or destroyed, after all.

Every day I've been checking to see if the movie will make it to my little neck of the woods; without much hope, honestly. Mississippi is, after all, Mississippi. And while I'm still waiting for the local theater to work up the stones to bring it in, I see that Malco (a Southern theater chain) is showing strength in their decision to run the film at its Tupelo theater. Here's to Malco.

I know that Malco will be on the receiving end of some pretty ugly venom for this decision, and I'd like to ask that any of y'all who might feel the urge to do so would please take the time to drop them a little note of encouragement, to let them know that there are indeed those who support them in fostering public debate.

9 comments: to “ Fahrenheit 9/11 in Mississippi

  • Anonymous
    June 18, 2004 12:55 PM  

    Thanks for letting me know. I was wondering if it would be getting any play at all here. Of course, I'm in Jackson, so Tupelo might not do me any good. Still, if it does well there, they might show it somewhere here - or maybe on the Coast.

  • Mitch
    June 18, 2004 2:32 PM  

    Yes. The more folks that flock to see it, the better chance to see it open in more locations. someone over at Daily Kos brought up the idea of coordinated advance ticket purchases. if done in blocks, a la The Passion, it would be a very effective enticement to Malco as well as other theater owners.

    as with most things, it all boils down to money.

  • Mitch
    June 18, 2004 5:42 PM  

    Fantastic. So far, this is still the only theater in the entire state of Mississippi, and they will be bullied. It worries me that in a case like this, being the lone brave holdout, they could indeed be cowed. Especially given that Tupelo is home to the American Family Assosciation, and I'm sure they'll find this at least as offensive as women's anatomy and such.

  • Polly
    June 22, 2004 2:32 PM  

    Has anyone contact the jxn theaters to demand they show it?

  • Mitch
    June 22, 2004 2:51 PM  

    I'm not a Jacksonian myself, so I couldn't answer that question. The theater in my town has been contacted, as has their parent company, Malco, who owns the one Tupelo theater that is in fact showing the film. I'd reccomend everyone contact their respective local theaters with a request (rather than a demand) that they get the film in. You'd be surprised how infrequently people actually contact these folks in that manner.....asking that a movie be shown, that is, and not pulled from the screens.

  • Unknown
    June 24, 2004 2:56 PM  

    Sent an email congratulating them on their Tupelo showing. Have previously sent an email to Cinemark (Pearl) letting them know they've lost my business for life. Also a Jackson resident who is embarassed to admit I might have to drive to Tupelo (might be time for a nice ride up the Trace) to see it.

    Tim Fuller
    Jackson MS

    www.thetimtimes.com
    Sensibility Without The Static

  • Anonymous
    June 24, 2004 8:14 PM  

    Hey y'all. Due to all the chitchat over at the Jackson Free Press site, Knol Aust has put together an online petition in a campaign he is calling "Fahrenheit 601" to get the film to Jackson. Be sure you go and add your name to it; it won't be used for anything else other than trying to convince the theaters to bring the film here. We're up to 84 names in just a couple hours!

    http://www.faultyminds.com/911/#

    Donna Ladd
    Editor, Jackson Free Press

  • Mitch
    June 24, 2004 10:10 PM  

    David,
    Has Moore gone on record as having said that? I ask in the interest of legalitym obviously, and the fundamental right of an artist to earn from his or her work. But then again, Moore, the Weinsteins, and Lion's Gate are all going to make a great deal of money on this film/ That said, I wonder if Moore would be interested in providing the download himself, after F911 blows trhough box office records the first weekend?

    thanks for stopping by.

    mc

  • Anonymous
    June 27, 2004 10:51 PM  

    I think it's disgusting how this film is only being shown at 1 theatre in the entire state. What exactly are they trying to do by censoring it? It's things like this that make me ashamed to be a Mississippi resident at times. I truly don't know what to say. I'll either catch it in New Orleans or Mobile. I've sent an email to cinemark and malco.

    Gulfcoast Resident

Post a Comment


Blogspot Template by Isnaini Dot Com