...this blog kills fascists...

Thursday, September 22, 2005

Tom Waits for No Man

Rolling Stone reports on two New Orleans benefit concerts, giving me a reason to mention how much I love Tom Waits:

Political chatter was kept to a minimum at both events, with performers mostly sticking to the program: championing aid for New Orleans. But a few artists angrily denounced government officials for their slow response to Katrina's devastation. 'I Wish New Orleans was dry and Washington was underwater,' said Tom Waits.
Indeed. Bette Midler had some choice words, too:
"I got a letter from the Republican Party the other day. I wrote back, 'Go fuck yourself.'" She then added, "George Bush is a fan of mine -- he came to see me in the Seventies. His coke dealer brought him."
But to get back to some more Waitsian wisdom, as good a description of the air in New Orleans as I've ever heard:
Radio City's most anticipated guest was Waits, who rarely makes live appearances. His set, which was unfortunately marred by sound problems, included "Get Behind the Mule," "Murder in a Red Burn" and "House Where Nobody Lives." "There's so much music in New Orleans you can hold a trumpet above your head and it will play itself," he remarked.

0 comments: to “ Tom Waits for No Man

Post a Comment


Blogspot Template by Isnaini Dot Com